Architectural Review Committee
The Architectural Review Committee (ARC) is involved any time the physical fabric of the campus is considered for alteration. Its mission is to create, review, and maintain comfortable, healthy, safe, sustainable facilities in support of the academic mission.
The committee reviews and approves architectural designs and installations for new buildings;additions and alterations to existing buildings; and requests for minor physical changes to campus, including:
- Interior and exterior materials
- Art and sculpture
- Temporary facilities
- Mechanical apparatus
ARC encourages sustainable concepts as they affect design, maintenance, and energy conservation; ensures proposed work meets historic preservation requirements; and confirms proposed work is compatible with campus standards and design guidelines.
The Charge of ARC
The Official Charge Letter 2012
The charge of the Architectural Review Committee is to:
- Interpret the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Campus Design Guidelines and Facilities Standards for Professional Service Consultants and various campus units. Any design change that affects a prior interpretation made by this committee must be resubmitted for approval.
- Select and/or approve materials for interior and exterior applications such as brick, roofing materials, siding, window trim, and interior finishes in terms of color, texture, style, and maintenance.
- Review design submissions and provide feedback to Design Consultants.
- Review and approve requests for siting minor physical changes on the campus, such as art and sculpture, temporary facilities, fencing, signage, banners, antennae, mechanical apparatus, etc.
- Review and encourage sustainable concepts as they affect design, maintenance, and energy conservation.
- Coordinate campus revisions to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Campus Design Guidelines.
- Review the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Campus Facilities Standards for design issues and coordinate revisions where necessary.
- Assist the Director of Planning in the variance process for design issues.
- Work with the Campus Historic Preservation Officer as required.