Since its establishment in 1867, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign administration has dedicated itself to provide a superior campus environment to support its educational objectives. The physical development of the Urbana campus has witnessed the construction and acquisition of historically significant architectural, engineering, landscape and archaeological resources. To promote the preservation of its historic resources, the university adopted a Campus Historic Preservation Plan in 1995 advocating the following objectives:
- To preserve the historic assets of the campus
- To respect the integrity of historic structures during rehabilitation and/or new construction
- To use heritage as an inspiration for new projects
- To seek private funding for the rehabilitation of historic assets
- To pass historical and architectural heritage on to future generations
The area of study in the campus historic preservation plan is the same as that of the master plans; it encompasses approximately 3,500 acres, divided into four parts:
- North campus
- Central campus
- South campus
- South farms
The north campus study area, bounded by Green Street, Wright Street, University Avenue, and Lincoln Avenue, is occupied almost entirely by the College of Engineering.
The central campus is defined by Green Street, Lincoln Avenue, Gregory Drive, and Fourth Street.
The south campus is bounded by Armory Avenue, the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad tracks, Lincoln Avenue, and St. Mary’s Road. South campus can be thought of as two general areas, with academic uses clustered in the northern area and recreational, housing, and support uses on the periphery.
The south farms consist of approximately 2,700 acres bounded by Florida and Kirby Avenues, the Illinois Central and Gulf Railroad, Curtis Road, and Race Street.
The corporate boundary of Urbana and Champaign bisects the study area at Wright Street. University-owned land in Champaign consists primarily of small dispersed parcels, whereas land ownership in Urbana is characterized by larger, consolidated parcels.