Know Your Fire Extinguishers
Fire Safety and Prevention
Call 911 to report a fire or for emergency assistance.
An important part of fire safety is knowing where to find fire extinguishers and how to use them. Know the location of extinguishers in your immediate area. Report missing extinguishers to the RA/RD, Building Supervisor, or Campus Code Compliance & Fire Safety at 217-265-5268.
Read the instructions for use before attempting to extinguish a fire. Do this before an emergency occurs.
For more information or to schedule a presentation on the correct use of fire extinguishers, call the Fire Prevention Officer within Campus Code Compliance & Fire Safety at 217-265-5268.
Types of Fires
- Class A: Ordinary combustibles such as papers, rags, wood, etc.
- Class B: Oil, flammable solvents, gasoline, grease, etc.
- Class C: Electrical fires, energized electrical equipment
Types of Extinguishers
- Pressurized water - use only on Class A fires
- Dry chemical - use on Class A, B, or C fires
- Carbon dioxide - use on Class B or C fires
- Pull the pin from the handle.
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire. Hold the nozzle firmly and stand 8-10 feet from the fire (movement closer may be necessary for complete coverage).
- Squeeze the handle to activate the extinguisher.
- Sweep the base of the fire from side to side and proceed upward until the fire is extinguished.
For more information about the use of extinguishers please contact:
Campus Code Compliance & Fire Safety (CCC&FS)
1501 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820