Emergency Spill Response
Accidents happen! If you witness an environmental spill, contact emergency personnel promptly. Environmental Compliance maintains a reporting protocol that outlines the procedures to be followed in the event of a release. The protocol is for general use by university students and staff.
This Standard Operating Procedure provides directions to follow if a suspect substance is released or discovered.
REPORT A SPILL
If a release is LIFE THREATENING, dial 911.
If a release is NON-LIFE THREATENING, call the Service Office (217) 333-0340.
After hours, press 0 to be redirected to Public Safety.
Give the following information if it can be obtained safely:
- Location of the release (facility address and phone number)
- Date and time of the release
- Type of substance released
- Source of the release
- Spill location (inside building or outside building)
- Estimate total quantity released
- Estimate quantity that entered a storm sewer, sanitary sewer, Boneyard Creek, or Embarras River
- Cause of the release
- Damages or injuries caused by the release
- Actions used to stop, control or mitigate the effects of the release
- Whether any life is threatened by the release
- Other persons who have been contacted