“Works and plays well with others,” is not a formal requirement for being a construction laborer, but it could be since the staff assists nearly all of F&S’ shops, as well as a multitude of campus customers.
Tasks completed by the Construction Laborer shop, include:
- Tearing out walls and carpeting for classroom remodels.
- Barricading street and parking lots for traffic control.
- Cleaning manholes in the sanitary sewer system.
- Pumping water out of flooded buildings.
- Cleaning up hazardous material spills.
- Delivering items for the cement finishers, brick layers, carpenters, and others.
- Digging out concrete that needs to be replaced.
- Tearing off roofs.
“We work with pretty much everybody on campus at some point,” Laborer Foreman Rube King said, “and we’re not doing the same thing every day.”
Some of the shop’s projects are small and others are large, like the asbestos abatement during Memorial Stadium’s renovations.
King and Construction Laborer Subforeman Austin Eichelberger head up the 21-member staff they say is ready and willing to come to work, even when they are called after hours.
“I had to go to the State Farm Center once during a basketball game because somebody had backed into a street light and knocked it over,” Eichelberger said. “We had to go pick that up. One time I got called in the middle of the night to sweep the street up after an accident.”